Thursday, February 09, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

Early February is the time of year many of us have long since broken or abandoned our resolutions for the new year. I know I have. Still, I have kept the spirit of my resolutions in that I have resolved to give up on self-improvement. That may seem odd, as resolutions are supposed to be all about self-improvement. I decided at the end of last year that I'm just fine the way I am, thank you very much, and that instead of clinging to the idea of becoming a better person, I'm simply going to let the idea go.

This allowed me to discover how rigid my thinking is, how my narrow my ideas are when it comes to the business of daily living. I decided to greet each day without towering expectations of myself and just appreciate myself for who I am and what I do. The unexpected result of this freeing concept is not that I have become lazier or more complacent. Instead, I feel as though I have more energy, and that I am happier and more productive. Best of all, I am learning to accept any moments of backsliding, of list-making, of critical self-talk as more opportunities to practice my new way of thinking.

Let go, is my new mantra. Just relax and let go, knowing that everything will be just fine in the end.

No comments: