Monday, September 18, 2006

90 Days and Counting...

I created DreamCrafters as a forum for my writing and musing on crafting dreams--pulling dreams out of the realm of wishes and manifesting them in the physical world. It's time to start putting stuff out here in the blogosphere that addresses that. Confession time--I've been scared to do that. I've been scared to make myself vulnerable and share my mistakes with anyone out in cyberspace who happens to stumble upon this collection of random scribblings. But now is my time to step out into fear.
So I'm sitting here at sunrise typing away while baking cupcakes for my daughter's birthday. I was going to bake them last night, but time got the better of me. I decided that the wisest course of action would be to mix up the dry ingredients and take my tired behind to bed. The clock struck eleven and I turned into a pumpkin. I can't say it was a successful plan just yet since the cupcakes aren't baked yet. However, I slept fitfully, dreaming of chocolate and baking and fighting a stalker with weapons. I might have slept better if I'd had some cupcakes cooling overnight, but I wouldn't have slept as long. Oh well, it was the best I could do with the time I had.
I really enjoy making this particular chocolate cake for my daughter's birthday. It's a vegan cake, baked originally to accommodate birthday guests with milk and egg allergies. I still haven't figured out how this recipe works--a really delicious cake made without butter or eggs. It must be a chemistry thing. The secret is baking soda in the dry ingredients and cold water and vinegar in the wet ingredients. The batter is mixed life muffins, which makes it sinfully easy, but the best things is that we can all lick the bowl. I am unfailingly strict about not tasting cake batter--even the tiniest lick can make you sick if the raw eggs are contaminated. But the cake is made without eggs so we can lick the bowl until our foreheads are covered in chocolate. That's big fun! This wonderful recipe can be found in The Joy of Cooking--see http://www.simonsays.com/. And I think the cupcakes are going to be fine, despite the fact that I woke in the middle of the night and realized I didn't have frosting. Powdered sugar will have to do.

No comments: