Wednesday, October 21, 2009

When the Attitude Adjustment You Need Is Your Own

"Raising a child who purposely pukes on the floor like a cat with a hairball is no excuse for a bad attitude."

Okay, sometimes my child makes Dennis the Menace look like an angel, and that's isn't even the child with ADHD. As a parent, I am often overwhelmed by the deepest love and affection I have ever felt, but I am also overwhelmed by poor grades and behavior reports, forgotten jackets, illicit candy wrappers the dog has confiscated, scattered toys and crayons, and wordless shrieks punctuated by nasty but articulate accusations. Every now and then, a temper tantrum hits like a Kansas cyclone, and I respond with one of my own.
I know I am supposed to be the grown up in this scenario. I am supposed to be setting an example. I rarely feel as though I'm setting a good example, but at least I know that my explosive moods are best to be wrestled with alone. I have the presence of mind to administer medication, make sure teeth are brushed, and send them off to bed before the top of my head blows off.
"Is there gonna be blood?" my six-year-old asks.
I bite back a sarcastic, "Only if you don't get in bed NOW," and replace it with, "No, there's going to be fire, and trust me, you don't want to get burned."
I have learned that when my inner brat gets the better of me, she needs to be sent to her room until she calms down. Then, I can use my words to express my anger and frustration and expectations for better behavior in the future. Sometimes that part about better behavior goes for me, as well.

No comments: