Sunday, June 30, 2019

1,000 Days of Music - Day 18: Encouraged

Today I have mastered a piece I learned in fourth grade. In the Suzuki Book 2, it’s titled Minuet in G Major, BWV 822 by J.S. Bach. I remember it (from more than forty years ago) as Bourée from the book From Bach to Bartok by Denes Agay, but my memory may not be accurate. In any case, I was surprised to be able to learn it so quickly. Maybe my brain simply resurrected it from its archives. I tried with C.P.E. Bach’s Solfeggietto in C minor, but I couldn’t get very far. I would need the music, and it is not part of the Suzuki piano repertoire.
In any case, my sub goal of learning Book 2 by mid-October seems more than reachable. I’ve already begun to master four out of fourteen pieces. If I choose to focus on Book 2, I might be able to complete it by the end of the summer. That would be a wonderful thing, as I will need all the extra time I can get for Books 5, 6, and 7. Next week, I may be discouraged and demoralized, but for now I am soaring on the wings of optimism.

No comments: