Friday, June 21, 2019

1,000 Days of Music - Day 9: Discouraged

It usually takes about nine or ten days of working on a challenge goal for discouragement to set in. That’s how long it takes me during National Novel Writing Month. I start strong and confident, and some time during the second week, I’m plagued with doubt, convinced that I’ve conceived the worst idea for a story in the history of novel writing. The prose is stale, the characters are insipid, and the dialogue falls flat. I know I’m wasting my time when I could be baking pies to freeze for Thanksgiving dinner.
I know how to handle that now. I simply keep writing. So what if the story is dreadful and I’m wasting my time? The only thing that matters is my word count if I’m writing a 50,000 word novel in November.
It’s no different for this challenge goal. So enamored am I with the idea of learning the entire Suzuki piano repertoire in 1,000 days that I can’t imagine thinking that it’s a stupid idea...until competing priorities loom large. This blog is different, though. Who am I, technologically inept as I am, to clutter up the blogosphere with my music and my words? The Internet has seen worse, I’m sure, and the blog provides accountability, even if no one ever reads it.
With apologies to Robert Schumann, here are two performances of Melody. I haven’t really practiced it on the piano since fourth grade, and I’ve never had a recorder lesson.

No comments: