Tuesday, October 01, 2019

1,000 Days of Piano - Day 105: Talent v. Genius or Passion v. Fear

Today I was saddened to learn of the death of soprano Jessye Norman. Many of us may have talent, but Norman had true genius. She had an amazing voice, and she wasn’t afraid to use it. As a musician, I cannot even begin to compare, nor do I want to. I may have a modest amount of talent, but I lack brilliance, at least when it comes to music. What I lack in genius and brilliance, however, I wish to make up for with enthusiasm and passion.
Reading about Norman, I saw that she had a passion for opera since childhood. Of course. Those who are overflowing with a zest for creativity have no room for timidity.  Perhaps it’s unimportant whether or not I have talent as opposed to genius. Maybe it’s more important whether or not I allow my fear to overshadow my passion.

No comments: