Wednesday, October 02, 2019

1,000 Days of Piano - Day 106: Book 1 Rehearsal

One of my rules of leadership is not asking anyone to do anything I wouldn’t do myself. I wouldn’t ask a student to perform an entire book of pieces unless I would do it myself. So I recorded most of the Suzuki Book 1, just for the experience of it.
It was interesting, kind of like chewing one of those disclosing tablets we used to get as kids to encourage us to brush our teeth. Anyone who feels up in the seventies knows what I’m talking about. They were bright red pills that we’d chew up and spit out. The red dye would stick to the plaque so that when we looked in the mirror we’d know where we needed to brush and floss.
Sitting down and going straight through most of Book 1 felt like that. It highlighted the sticky places I need to practice. An exercise doesn’t get more valuable than that.

No comments: