Thursday, October 03, 2019

1,000 Days of Piano - Day 107: Eat That Frog!

Eat That Frog! is a book by Canadian self-help expert, Brian Tracy. He takes the title and premise for his book from a famous quote by Mark Twain, “Eat a live frog first thing in the morning, and nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day.” The idea is that if you complete your most onerous task of the day first, the rest of your day will be a breeze.
My twist in this is that if you accomplish first thing in the morning a task that will give you the most satisfaction, you will more easily endure it if the rest of your day collapses into a black hole of frustration and disillusionment.
I began my day by recording Suzuki Book 2 in its entirety. It was much more pleasant than eating a live frog, but it was not without a certain indefinable tension. I knew I had only one shot at getting a good take because I only had time to record it once. I must have had a slight premonition that any sense of productivity would be in shreds by evening. In any case, whatever else may have happened today, I can console myself with the thought that I did something worthwhile.

No comments: