Saturday, August 10, 2019

1,000 Days of Piano - Day 53: Under Pressure

This is an experiment in performing under pressure. I had thought about polishing the first part of the Mozart Minuet from Book 4, to bring some variety from the first three Suzuki books. However, we’re under a severe thunderstorm warning. Since I’ve been practicing daily from books two and three, I decided to try playing two pieces in a row in one take.
I managed to stay calm under pressure, and behold the result. It was a welcome change from the fall, when I was unable to get through my audition pieces without breaking down. The pieces are not difficult for me, it is true, but fear and anxiety are insidious, laying traps in the easiest pieces. I’ve been practicing and posting for over fifty days. That takes some of the sting out of the process. Such is the beauty of daily review and performance...even if no one is watching.

No comments: