Thursday, September 26, 2019

1,000 Days of Piano - Day 100: 100th Day Reflection

It’s been 100 days since I started learning the entire Suzuki piano repertoire in 1,000 days and writing a blog about it. Almost every day, I’ve practiced, recorded myself, and written a post about it. Almost every day, I’ve reflected on the process of learning, playing, and overcoming fear. Almost every day, I’ve played pieces from multiple books. Almost every day, I’ve faced the red eye of the record button and created music to share.
Sitting at the piano, I’ve encountered my strengths and my weaknesses, my talent and my timidity, my vulnerability and my vanity. I thought it would take me until October to learn Book 2, when I may be near the end of Book 3 by the end of October. I have surprised myself with the speed at which I can learn certain pieces. I struggle with playing by sight, yet many of the pieces are not memorized. I have learned more complex pieces, only to “let them rest” after focusing on different music.
After 100 days, I am a better musician and a better teacher, even if I haven’t figured out how to measure it. I only know that the next step is the one right under my feet.

No comments: