Monday, September 09, 2019

1,000 Days of Piano - Day 83: Ordinary


No day is ordinary, despite the way it may feel. Some days may seem ordinary, but that only happens when we take our daily miracles for granted. I managed to make it through eight measures of Schumann’s About Foreign Lands and People, from his Scenes from Childhood in only two days. (This is yet another staple of the typical piano student’s repertoire that I never learned as a child.) I usually learn pieces slowly, so for me, it appears to be miraculous. But is it? It’s Day 83, and I have been developing the habit of learning more music quickly for a couple of months. Perhaps it’s simply the natural increase of ability that comes from an increase of practice. It may be ordinary, but that doesn’t make it any less miraculous.

No comments: