Thursday, September 12, 2019

1,000 Days of Piano - Day 86: Sanctuary

Piano is becoming my sanctuary while living with an emotional teenager, especially as I have Dr. Suzuki as my guide. Anyone who has ever read Nurtured by Love knows that it is like making a kind and encouraging friend. Shinichi Suzuki, who developed the “Mother-Tongue” Method of teaching music, writes in a warm, conversational style, as if he has invited you out for coffee to tell you stories.
In one memorable story, he writes about one of his protégés, whom he took care of as a youth. His young friend had picked up some unpleasant habits that he wanted to help correct for the sake of everyone living in the household. Yet he didn’t want to criticize or nag the boy. He gathered the other members of the household, and they all agreed to adopt a higher standard of behavior without saying a word to anyone. Everyone benefitted from this system, and the ill-mannered boy unconsciously adopted the example set by the others.
For me it is a humbling story, when I think of the harsh words I’ve uttered under the burden of the extreme frustration I’ve felt when my children were unhelpful or unkind. All of the times I’ve said, “How many times to do I have to tell you?” or “That’s unacceptable,” rise up like goblins to torment me. Dr. Suzuki sets the ever compassionate example, gently leading the way to teaching children not only to develop a beautiful tone but to develop a beautiful heart. Not just music, but kindness has become my sanctuary.
As for this recording, I don’t know what possessed me to begin learning a 150-measure Mozart Sonata. I do know that it is difficult to play the damper pedal with gum on the bottom of my shoe.

No comments: