Thursday, September 19, 2019

1,000 Days of Piano - Day 92: Uncomfortable Uncertainty

Uncertainty is uncomfortable. I like to know where I’m going, and what it’s going to be like when I get there. It’s comfortable to have an umbrella when it’s raining. It feels good to go places I’ve been before. I don’t get lost. I know where the potholes are. I enjoy playing the familiar game. I know the rules, I know the turf, and I’m acquainted with the players.
Uncertainty is unsettling.  I don’t know how to prepare. I don’t know which way to turn. Do I turn right or left? Do I flee or do I fight? I don’t know what unpleasant surprises await just beyond the bend in the road...but likewise I have no idea if I’m about to stumble upon something wonderful. Uncertainty is unpredictable.
Today I was cautious and chose a piece that is comfortable to me. And why not? I’ll find myself in the uncomfortable middle of uncertainty soon enough.

No comments: