Tuesday, July 02, 2019

1,000 Days of Music - Day 20: Diversity

There are as many methods of teaching piano as there are teachers, but the difference between traditional methods and the Suzuki philosophy is strong enough to create two distinct groups. Today I decided to experiment with the slow practice with which I’m familiar and the STOP-PREPARE technique. The difference is much more pronounced inside my head. Playing music from a score is a completely different mental discipline from playing from memory. When I play from memory,  I look at the keys and see chord shapes. It feels much more organic to me. 
If you watch the video closely, you can see my eyes flicking between the music on the page and my fingers on the keys as I make my way slowly through the score. I get all the way through the first sixteen measures. Using STOP-PREPARE, I’m playing from memory, almost at tempo, and with more confidence...but only through seven measures. 
Which method is better? It’s not for me to say. It depends on the sensibilities on the teacher, student, and parent. With thirty years of teaching traditional piano behind me, I’m staking much of my energy and time on the Suzuki philosophy. Without even starting my teacher training, I am a better teacher and a better musician. So far, it’s been an amazing journey.

No comments: