Sunday, July 14, 2019

1,000 Days of Piano - Day 32: Cultivating Inspiration

It takes mental fortitude to cultivate inspiration on a daily basis. It easy to be excited about a goal in the beginning, when the idea is shiny and new. Once the daily habit is established, inspiration sometimes goes on vacation, leaving the door unlocked so doubt can creep in. I get bored. The easy pieces feel ricky-ticky. The more advanced pieces are so daunting, especially the ones I’ve never played. Some days my fingers get tangled on the keys, the sour notes multiply, and the music breaks down. The writing feels uninspired. The prose does not entertain. And I can’t help but wonder, “Why bother?”
Any challenge goal brings on these doubts. That why I cultivate inspiration when my feelings are running high. Sometimes I choose an easier piece to include here to keep my spirits up and remind myself that I can play. I like the Czerny Study Op. 139, No. 19 for this reason. It’s not part of the Suzuki piano repertoire. It’s sufficiently challenge to keep my confidence up, and it’s familiar enough to feel easy to play. It’s my favorite warm up because of the sixteenth note runs in each hand. My family is so tired of hearing it that they make fun of it with over dramatic imitations. Still, it has stood the test of time for me, and almost always cheers me up when my inspiration is waning.

No comments: