Thursday, July 18, 2019

1,000 Days of Piano - Day 36: Guilty

I just did a Google search for, “Why am I so hard on myself?” and every article I read was like looking in a mirror. I wanted to ask, “Why can’t I get myself together?” but Google doesn’t have an answer for that. I won’t last 1,000 days if I’m carrying around a barrel of guilt on my back. The perfectionism, self-criticism, procrastination on critical self-care won’t pave the path to success, either. Add to that, an unwillingness to accept compliments to a complete willingness to accept blame for anything that goes wrong, and I have a brick wall of negativity blocking my path.
The first thing I want to do is be hard on myself for being hard in myself. That’s a downward spiral too wide and deep to be considered. Why do I do this to myself? I’m guessing that I do it to push myself forward. If I’m hard on myself, maybe I’ll try harder to do better. Maybe a swift kick in the pants is what I need to get myself going. Like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football Lucy hold for him, I keep thinking, “This time will be different,” but it never is. 
The best I can to right now is try a little self-compassion and see if that works. 

No comments: